Wednesday 8 October 2008

Separated Rectus Abdominis (Diastasis recti) – are we rehabilitating them correctly?

Those therapists amongst you will know about Diastasis recti, a separation between the left and right side of the rectus abdominus muscle, which covers the front surface of the abdominal area. It is another name for the more commonly described Split Rectus Abdominus. It is caused by pregnancy and the rectus muscle being stretched by the baby in the uterus. It is most common in the later trimesters and more so with multiple births or repeated pregnancies.

A diastasis recti looks like a ridge, which runs down the middle of the abdominals. It stretches from the sternum to the navel and increases with abdominal muscle contraction. In the later part of pregnancy, the top of the pregnant uterus is often seen bulging out of the abdominal wall when rectus is engaged. An outline of parts of the unborn baby may be seen in some severe cases.

Post natally you can check if your client/patient has Diastasis recti by laying them supine with knees bent (crook lying) and get them to raise their heads. You commonly see a central ridge protrude in the centre of Rectus Abdominis and if you palpate above the navel you should feel a soft gap between two hard muscles. Measure the space of the gap using your fingers (this is called a Rec Check). If the gap is greater than two finger widths, your client/patient may be suffering from separated muscles.

No treatment as such will help pregnant women with this condition, although exercise may help, but there is limited evidence that exercise will resolve the problem. However postnatally conventional wisdom suggests that after any discomfort has settled it is reasonable to start some light abdominal work, but do not work the obliques initially. Understanding their origin and insertions reveals any oblique contraction will most likely exaggerate the split of Rectus. Conventional wisdom suggests to start with pelvic floor work and stabilising work using Transversus Abdominis (Trans Abs) with the pelvis in the correct position, then do co-activation work with pelvic floor then progress to try and shorten Rectus by doing inner range work. The production of relaxin (a hormone that is secreted in abundance when pregnant) effects the collagen make up in the linae alba (the central tendon in rectus abdominus) and may be a cause of the diastasis. As soon as the placenta is delivered the increased secretion of relaxin reduces to normal, but the effects can last for up to 5 months and breast feeding will keep it higher than normal until your client/patient has stopped. This may affect how quickly the Diastasis recti will reduce.

Please be careful while working Transversus Abdominis though. While conventional wisdom is sometimes right, it sometimes isn’t, let’s challenge it now. If you look at the origin and insertion of Transversus Abdominis and consider its function, logically when it contracts it will pull the rectus apart further, much the same as contracting the obliques would. There is no evidence to suggest that doing Trans Abs work is the right thing to do, its just something that we all do, without it seems, much thought as to why. Just think, if the Trans Abs inserts into the aponeurosis of rectus (anteriorly below the navel and posteriorly above the navel), any Trans Abs contraction should pull the rectus apart further. So why do we work Trans Abs initially with a diastasis recti?

Actually we’ve measured the split of rectus using Ultrasound scanning and it does separate further when Trans Abs is engaged. I am collaborating with a colleague, Mark Maybury, who is an Extended Scope Physiotherapist specializing in Ultrasound scanning, and we plan to do a paper on this – to challenge conventional wisdom in this field. We hope to have it completed in the next few months, please come back and see what we find, I’ll put the paper here when it’s completed.

What is your experience with this condition?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had IVF, therefore was put on progesterone, had a severe case of hyperstimulation (17 pounds of water weight) and was on two Tocolytics for over 2 1/2 months. Could the above affected me having a separation? I should also mention I had twins (a substantial weight gain)and have not been formally diagnosed, but am pretty sure I suffer from a separation. I am looking for methods to improve this condition but also looking to see if the above factors have led to this condition. It could possibly effect my desire to have more children biologically. No one wants to look perpetually pregnant!

Melissa Gordon said...

I have diastasis recti. confirmed bt two doctors!! I have had abdominal emergency surgery 32 yrs ago., 1 baby 5 yrs ago, herniated disc thats bothered me for about a year.And Im a fitness trainer instructor too!! My question is.. Can the gap be closed with exercise or does surgery help the most. I cant find an conclusive info

tarahopefaith said...

I have diastasis recti also (about a full hand width apart). I am pregnant with my 2nd child, and had a similar diastasis recti with my first also (about 2 1/2 years ago). The separation never completely healed. Before my first pregnancy, my abdominal muscles were very strong.

I'm wondering about a possible connection between lack of relaxin (or lack of relaxin receptors, relaxin insensitivity, etc.) and diastasis recti. I wonder this because instead of making room for the baby during delivery, instead, my pubic bones also separated (symphyseal gap equaling pelvic girdle pain for a year). So, nothing in my body really stretched or "relaxed" - instead, both my stomach and pelvic girdle ripped apart.

I also have the same question that makeupart4mel asked- does surgery or exercise help the most?

Also, has corrective surgery been done right after a c-section (I might have to have a c-section).

Anonymous said...

I just had a tummy tuck after 2 years of horrible back pain from my last pregnancy. I saw a physical therapist who said I have severe nerve damage in my lower core, a pelvis that never tighted up right, and rectus diasis split.

The physical therapist and my family doctor felt a hernia in my upper stomach but the general surgeon only saw the umbilical hernia. Well, the physical therapist and family dr were right! (They poked and it hurt for a full DAY, whereas the general surgeon exam never really hurt.) I stopped going to the pt because it was all lower stomach stuff (she was careful to avoid the rectus diasis and hernia) but in my heart I knew I needed surgery. I felt so helpless and doing small excersizes did not seem like the answer, even though I LOVED the pt and she was very impressive.

I now feel I had two years of unnecessary pain because the moment I woke up from surgery I felt put back together. 4 weeks post-surgery now and I have not an ounc of back pain. It turns out my 3 inch split went all the way up to my sternum, where I also had a small hernia, along with the umbilical hernia. I'm on the extreme end of cases my plastic surgeon has seen. Not a second goes by that I am nothing but grateful for the surgery and it's 100% fix of my debilitating back pain.

Let me know if you want photos or learn more about my case.

Karina said...

I have separated muscles and I am well into 24 months after my twin boys were delivered. I am a very active person that loves to do sports but notice that despite all the exercise I do nothing seems to help bring the muscles back together.
I saw a therapist sometime after the pregnancy and although she gave me some pelvic exercises that did not seem to help too much. Although my separation has gotten better there is still a gap and I also have a umbilical hernia. Any advice on what to do about it?

tassiet said...

I am 61 yrs old, and suspsect I have DR, but I also have movement when this occurs. What I call a hernia "comes out" when I stretch, cough in the wrong position, sit or lie down causing a stretch or stress on my upper abdomin. I have had this for 34 years. It is very painful, cannot imagine this just being cosmetic, interrupts my life in all ways. This is the closest I have come to getting a name for what I am experiencing. Yes I have been to multiple drs and have had cat scans, mris and been checked out, no one seems to be able to tell me what I have. Any input would be so appreciated, it has gotten worse in the last 7 years, I experience this daily. Help!!?

Sophie Standing said...

This a message to 'Mum of 2 Kids' message way back in May 2009... Where did you have your operation? I'm an expat living in Kenya. There is no plastic surgeon here in Nairobi so I'm planning to go to either Cape Town or UK to have it done. I'm so sick of back pain, saw stomach, looking 3months pregnant around my middle despite having lost all my baby weight and being back to my 53kg size.
Your post has made me so positive about going ahead with my surgery.
I did 4 months of personnel training and Physio after my first born and again now with my 2nd born who is now 8 months....gap has closed a bit more 2nd time around due to a fantastic personnel trainer who knows so much about abdominal separation....but it's not going to close anymore and it's high Time i felt better and fitter and not in pain AND so want to wear my gorgeous clothes again!

Kristy said...

I was diagnosed with diastatis recti by my gyno, my family doctor and my personal trainer. My son is now 8 1/2 months old and I believe I developed this seperation during labor. Since August 2011, I have been seeing a trainer to correct this condition; so far with no real results. I am working on strengthening the pelvis floor and trasverse abdominals. I am gald I cam across this information. I though that these exercises may be doing nothing or may be doing more harm than good. I did breastfeed for 7 months and in my own mind did somehow connect breastfeeding with my diastasis refusing to close. No medical professional I spoke to ever mentioned this as a reason for the process of healing to be taking so long; even after I brought it up to them. I would love to have access to any new information about this that is available. I feel like there is a lot of guessing be done out there when it comes to this condition. It should be paid more attention to as it is definitely a life changing condition. I am an over fit person who is constantly exercising and it is very frustrating to me to actually be thinner and in better shape than before I had a baby but still not be able to get my abs flat again because of this diastasis. I hope the paper you refer to is available to read. I appreciate and information or feedback you can provide.

Unknown said...

I'm wondering about a possible connection between lack of relaxin (or lack of relaxin receptors, relaxin insensitivity, etc.) and diastasis recti. I wonder this because instead of making room for the baby during delivery, instead, my pubic bones also separated (symphyseal gap equaling pelvic girdle pain for a year). So, nothing in my body really stretched or "relaxed" - instead, both my stomach and pelvic girdle ripped apart. physiotherapy toronto

Unknown said...

This is great the blog that I always bookmarked are those who has a good information which is viewable and informative and you are one of those who provide good informations. Critical Care in Dombivali || Plastic Surgeon in dombivli || Orthopedic Hospital in Dombivli

Unknown said...

Hi Martin, great blog. Just wondering if you have carried out further research on this? Would love to hear your findings.

Grainne
absolute-physio@outlook.com